By Shondiin Silversmith
WINDOW ROCK, December 13, 2012
B ased on the number of views from the Navajo Times website, the following made the Top 10 list for 2012. These articles were published in the Arts & Entertainment section:
1. "Haaji Johnny? Depp sighting abound, but when it comes to proof, he's up there with Bigfoot." The popular actor slated to play Tonto in the upcoming remake of "The Lone Ranger" was also spotted in Shiprock, Gallup, Monument Valley and Tuba City, according to Facebook posting and phone calls to the Navajo Times.
2. "Bigfoot's stomping grounds: There's more to Upper Fruitland than Northern Edge Casino." Since finding an 18-inch long footprint in her yard in upper Fruitland, Brenda Harris has investigated dozens of complaints from neighbors about strange livestock killings, hair upright beings looking in windows, and giant footprints.
3. "60th Miss Navajo Nation is from Steamboat Canyon". Leandra "Abby" Thomas, of Steamboat Canyon, Ariz. was announced the 2012-2013 Miss Navajo Nation. "I am happy, joyful and blessed to be your 2012-2013 Miss Navajo Nation," said Thomas, who dominated the competition.
4. "City girls' kinaalda: On the rez for their ceremony, urban twins recapture their heritage." Kalie and Kennedy Denet Yazzie are here at their great-grandmother's place from Chandler, Ariz., to celebrate Kennedy's kinaaldá. Kalie had hers last August, but according to tradition, the twins must go through the ceremony with each other so she's here to support her sister
5. "2012 contestants add to long history of Miss Navajo pageant". This year marks the Miss Navajo Nation pageant's 60th anniversary, and the winner from this year's pool of seven contestants was the 60th Miss Navajo ever to hold the coveted title that represents the Navajo people for one year.
6. "Butchering contest kicks off Miss Navajo Nation pageant". One component that makes the Miss Navajo Nation pageant unique from most other royalty pageants is the sheep butchering and traditional bread making competitions.
7. "Local resident finds wife in Germany." Sgt. Everett Guerito went to a bar in Germany one night because he wasn't one to say no to a friend. Little did he know that in a local bar in Heidelberg, Germany he would meet his future wife, Ann Christin Guerito.
8. "Miss Navajo contestants entertain crowd on second day of competition". The second day of a weeklong pageant was the contemporary skills and talent competition. This test is an important component of the pageant that measures a contestant's command of the English language through entertainment, public speaking and impromptu questions.
9. "Love at first post." Shawn Snith of Chandler, Ariz. and Jennifer Cordova of Heber City, Utah were both thinking about their future when out of the blue they both discovered each other through Facebook.
10. "Montana Native wins Miss Indian World crown." Jessa Rae Growing Thunder, Ft. Peck Assiniboine/Sioux, from Poplar, Mont., was crowned Miss Indian World on Saturday, April 28. Growing Thunder, 22, accumulated 3,080 points during the competition that landed her the crown. Her platform is cultural preservation.