Leupp Man turned over to County sheriff's office
WINDOW ROCK, August 2, 2012
The report came into the Dilkon police dispatcher that there was a highly intoxicated female heading toward the Bashas market in Dilkon. An officer was nearby and found the vehicle behind the supermarket.
The driver was questioned as was the passenger, identified as Jerick M. Monroe, 24. When police did a routine check for bench warrants, they found an outstanding warrant out on Monroe who was then taken to the Twin Arrows area and turned over to deputies with the Coconino County sheriff's Office.
Driver falls asleep, causes rollover
Five Shiprock area juveniles, ages 16 and 17, were injured in a one-car accident that occurred abut 2:30 a.m. on Navajo Route 364 near Shiprock.
According to police, the juveniles were in a pickup that turned on its side when the driver, who was not identified, fell asleep at the wheel. Witnesses said that the driver panicked when awakened and then overcorrected, causing the pickup to roll over on the driver's side and skid several hundred feet.
Two of the juveniles were sleeping in the bed of the truck when the accident occurred and one of them received head injuries as well as damage to the left shoulder and had to be transported to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. for treatment.
The others were taken to the Northern Navajo Medical center in Shiprock for treatment.
Unidentified body found in canal
A body was found near the low rent housing complex in Shiprock on July 22.
The report came in first from Eddie Gilmore, who works for the tribe's water resource office in Shiprock. He called police and reported what possibly could be a dead body in a canal near the Northern Navajo Medical Center.
When police got to the scene, they went with Gilmore to the site where he showed them what he had found were located next to a metal gate that holds the water back in the canal.
He said at first he only saw shoes but as he pulled the shoes, he found that they were attached to legs.
Police contacted the San Juan Fire and Rescue squad who helped recover the body. There were no description of the body in the police report. Police said that the body contained no identification.
Ganado lady batters officer, charged with DWI
A tribal police officer, whose name has not been released, was battered while taking a prisoner to Sage Memorial Hospital on July 27.
Police said earlier in the day, they received a report of a one-vehicle accident west of Burnside.
When they got there, they found the vehicle had struck a guardrail. The vehicle belonged to Home Care Solutions and the passengers were being taken by the company to the hospital.
But the driver was not in the area. Police said the driver, identified as Nicole M. Salabye, 28, of Ganado, had walked away from the scene and crawled into a nearby metal culvert.
An officer had to go into the culvert to get her out and after being questioned, she was charged with DWI and taken to the Ganado hospital for a medical clearance.
While there, according to police, she began kicking an officer and fractured her left thumb.
Police said they saw found a small quantity of what appeared to be marijuana on her as well as a small smoking pipe.
Police respond to burning houses
Tribal police responded to a trailer and house fire five miles south of the Sanostee Chapter House on July 20.
When they got there about 12:19 p.m., they found a trailer totally engulfed in flames. They also discovered that high winds had carried this fire to a nearby home that had also caught on fire.
The area was evacuated because police also found that there was a 100 pound butane tank located next to the trailer.
The first fire trucks arrived on the scene at about 1 p.m. the fire had spread to another building, which was also destroyed.
As this was going on, police said a car drove up containing Joe Taylor, 76, and Prahila A. Begay, 29, both of Sanostee, N.M. Police said one of the two tried to get into the flaming trailer but was prevented from doing so.
No injuries were reported although Taylor was later checked out when he had breathing problems.